Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Comtemplating thankfulness after Thanksgiving = Sending a Belated Birthday card (belatedly)

At the start of last week, I had an enormous amount of negative energy in my body. An enormous amount. I felt choked by it. I could've written several entries in which I ranted and bitched about all the crap that was clogging the pipes of my happiness, but I chose not to. I was practicing some some self-restraint in the spirit of Thanksgiving. I chose to focus on the positive and not let every little worry and frustration (and my growing contempt and disgust in the human race) overtake me. As I thought about it I realized the truth as it is, that I have an immense amount of things to be thankful for right now. God has blessed me more than I deserve to be blessed. I have a job I love (for the most part). I have many comforts and luxuries that others don't. I'm in love. I have great friends. I've had lots of good hair days lately. But, listing the things I'm thankful for would have been the MOST unoriginal thing I could have done. Seeing as Thanksgiving is over now, I could have just skipped this subject altogether, but I really did want to write about it. So...I'm gonna give it a shot.

Instead of thankfulness, I'm going to talk about forgiveness. Why forgiveness? Because I've reached the conclusion that thankfulness isn't possible without forgiveness. I'll do my best to explain...

I read this one day last week. "God is more interested in making us what we ought to be than in giving us what we want to have." I began to disect this the instant I read it. I thought about "wants" as they relate to thankfulness. Should we only be thankful when we recieve the things we want? Or should we be thankful for everything in our lives; the good stuff, the bad stuff, the stuff we hoped for, AND the stuff we never expected?

A friend of mine taught me a couple of years ago (during a very dark time)to be thankful PARTICULARLY for the bad stuff. I thought she was crazy at first. I immediately told her that there was no way I could thank God for the things that were making me miserable at the time. (There were a lot of them.) And, even if I offered thanks, I would be doing so insincerely...and God would know the difference, anyway. She insisted that I should do it; that I should repeatedly send up praise for every little thing that made me sad and angry and worrisome. Because I trusted my friend and because I was desperate to feel God at the time...I took her advice...and it took it fully. I audibly said "Thank You" to God probably 50-75 times a day. I said it after EVERY negative thought and every unpleasant spark of emotion. And I hated it.

Nothing changed at first, and the continuous task of expressing gratitude in my time of despair took a toll on my already fragile emotional state, and also on my patience. But, much to my surprise, it didn't take long to understand the advice she gave. Before long, I found that all the little ugly things didn't bother me so much...and I was soon able to focus more on the things that WEREN'T ugly. And then something else happened. I realized that I had been blaming myself for all the ugly things that I felt so burdened by. I had convinced myself that they were all, in one way or another, either directly or abstractly, the factor of my failure. But somewhere in my forced, concentrated thankfulness, I forgave myself. I wasn't even concious of it at the time...but it came to me in shallow waves of relief. As the miracle continued, I found myself more thankful...for life and for breath and for love and for opportunity...than I ever had been before. And my focus shifted to the beautiful and away from the ugly.

Since then, I've thought a lot about forgiveness, and I've learned how to forgive not only myself, but others. I know we think that all of us already know how to forgive, but it's an ability that we aren't born with. It's completely unnatural. It's a hard thing to learn; such a painful process...like riding a bike without training wheels. I had bruised legs...and a bruised ego...for months. The more I've forgiven...and the BIGGER I've forgiven...the more thankful I've become. This is partly the power of positive thinking, but mostly it's power that allows beauty to come into my life. I forgive...I let go...and great things follow. I don't even have to look for them. It's as if greatness automatically fills the space that my unforgiveness was once occupying...just like a commonplace act of nature.

If forgiveness can work such miracles in my tiny little life, then what other powers does it possess?

I just read a book called "Left to Tell". It was written by a woman who survived the Rwandan Holocaust by hiding in a bathroom for 3 months. Her entire family, with the exception of one brother, was brutally murdered during the genocide. She tells of the horrible things that happened in Africa during that time. Things that no human being should ever have to witness and endure. But what she talks about more is how she learned to forgive the people that put an entire country through Hell. She even forgave the individuals that slaughtered those she loved most. She instead chose to be thankful for survival and for her faith. This woman has gone on to achieve amazing things, and has spread messages of hope and healing to millions of people around the world. She would never have accomplished anything without forgiveness.

I think of Elie Weisel, one of the best known survivors of the Holocaust during World War II. He has spent years talking about forgiveness. I cry every time I hear him speak and every time I read his works. I cry not only at the emotion I hear in his voice and for the memories he wakes up to every day of his life, but for the way he has embraced life since that horrible time. He has credited much of his success to the power of forgiveness...and he,too, has changed many lives with his wisdom.

I could name dozens of other examples of extreme forgiveness, and all of them would tell a different story of lives changed. I believe that every single one of them would mention thankfulness as a key factor...a prominent outcome.

Being thankful really does transform us. It pushes us towards success, inner peace, and healthy relationships. It gives us hope and acceptance. When you think about it, it enables us to be "what we ought to be" (referring to the afore mentioned quote), doesn't it? Aren't those characteristics things that we "ought" to display? Wouldn't most people WANT those things?

We can look at all of this mathematically. Please keep in mind I have NEVER been good at math.

Pain + Thankfulness = Forgiveness
Forgiveness X more Thankfulness = Great things/things we WANT

So, if God really does care more about making us better people more than he cares about giving us our desires, he's actually killing two birds with one stone. Or something like that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you think and the way you write. I love when what you've written inspires me to examine something about myself or how I view my life. This was just what I needed to hear today, and it reminds me again how thankful I am to have you in my life. I miss you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That was a very thoughtful post! I would be interested in reading that book, it always astounds me how people who have suffered so much are usually the first to have complete forgiveness. It's amazing. We should all learn from that.

Lara said...

i feel like i have a rational appreciation for the importance of forgiveness, but i really struggle with actually getting myself to feel it. especially when it comes to forgiving myself for something. still working on it, but golly it's tough.

p.s. found you through your comment on aly's site. i totally hear you about wanting more comments. i'm an unapologetic comment whore on my own site. :-P

One Mother with Cancer said...

Forgiveness also sets you free. I was almost paralyzed with anger and hatred once, and it came down to me either forgiving someone that had really hurt me, or not having a life worth living (sever depression, headaches etc…). I chose to forgive, and immediately I felt like a burden had been lifted. That is something worth being very thankful for.

Elise said...

I saw a lady in the store a while back who seemed to be full to the brim with negativity and hatred and unforgiveness. The more I talked with her, the more I realized what I could easily become, a dried up shell of a woman, complaining to anyone who would listen about my horrible boss from years ago who ruined her career because he was unfair.

This woman had a family; a husband, kids - she had a house (and I'm guessing it was a nice one, as she mentioned several times that she didn't have to work, she just did it because she wanted to). So, she had a family, a home, no financial worries, and the free time to go shop for herself, and she had the WORST attitude I have ever seen.

I don't doubt that whatever her old boss did to her, years ago, really was unfair. Hell, it might have even genuinely ruined her whole career. But since when is a career everything? She hasn't let it go. And she hasn't forgiven him, or herself, or anyone. And it's ruining her entire LIFE, day by day.

Forgiveness is good. Really, really good.