Tuesday, October 18, 2005

"WELCOME" ....to my blog

I was talking with someone the other day….don’t recall who….about what we wanted “to be” when we were kids. I always love asking people that. I think it can be very revealing about one’s childhood and what has happened on their journey to adulthood.

For many years, I was dead-set on being a Marine Biologist. I know a lot of little girls are drawn to that profession simply for the allure of swimming with smiley Bottle Nosed Dolphins on a daily basis. There was something more that appealed to me, however. I’ve always been fascinated by the ocean. Scared by it, too…but I guess that’s part of the fascination. I wanted to dive into unseen worlds and discover new species and have my own series of documentaries…just like Jacque Cousteau. I took a Marine Science class in middle school and threw myself into every assignment as if my career depended on it. I even started out in college as a Biology major…knowing that would lead me to my destiny. Funny thing was…I hated biology. And the whole idea of my future profession taking place under water was always a sham because I’ve had horrendous ear problems since babyhood that prevent me from getting ANY water in my ears; and I would never be able to dive because my eardrums can’t take the pressure. I finally accepted these facts as a freshman in college and moved on to discover other interests.

To make a VERY VERY long story short, I’m finally in a job that suits me well. But, as content as I am, I know I won’t do this forever. There are too many other things out there that I want to do before my life ends. Even though I’m “all growed up” now, I still have a mental list of dream jobs….things I want to be when I grow up even more. I realize that the likeliness of any of this occurring is equal to the likeliness that I’ll run into Orlando Bloom at Wal-Mart on the cereal aisle and marry him 3 weeks later (running away hand in hand under a confetti shower of Fruit Loops in honor of our meeting)….but it’s good to have dreams.

Here’s my list (yay!…another list!):

1. I want to own a children’s book store just like the one Meg Ryan owns in “You’ve Got Mail”. I haven’t come up with a name for it yet…but I’ve got ideas. I’ll have to move back to a big city to do this…but that’s all part of the plan.


2. Preceding, or in conjunction with, or following the above listed venture…I want to be a published author of children’s literature. I’ve started some books but never have the time (or determination) to actually finish them and do something with them. One day.

3. I want to be an ambassador for UNICEF or The International Justice Mission and travel the world making things better for children and women who don’t have the ability to change things themselves.

4. Second to ambassadorship, I’d like to work for the same type of organization as a photographer.

5. I can work at a vineyard stomping grapes for wine production. I think customers would like that. A lot.

6. Inspired by a close friend of mine in the same profession, I’d work to further establish international adoption agencies that operate with integrity and efficiency.

7. I would be a GREAT greeting card designer. I wouldn’t work for Hallmark, though…I’d have my own label. There would be lots of laughs and a minimal amount of cheese involved.

8. The San Diego Zoo may one day hire me to train Orangutans. I’ve submitted my resume already.

9. I’d be happy to work for a cosmetics company in the marketing department. Somebody has to come up with interesting names for products and lipstick colors. Origins seems to be the most creative in this area, so maybe I’ll bless them with my innovative mind.

10. I share this particular dream with a few other friends, I think….so perhaps we can do it jointly….When I’m MUCH older, I’ll buy a bed and breakfast in some beautiful location and people will travel for hundreds of miles to bask in the serene hominess…and my charm and wit.

11. I’ve saved the best for last!! What I want more than anything is to be the spokeswoman/greeter for movie theater companies. You know how, when the lights dim, an obnoxious intro sequence plays that takes you on a not-so-virtual roller coaster ride through outer space? I wanna be the lady with the cool space-like haircut whos’ head is like 15 feet wide who says in a dramatic voice, “Welcome”…and then your roller coaster zooms through her nose or wherever. Everyone knows what I’m talking about, right?? I think she’s the same chick that Six Flags uses on the “Mr.Freeze” ride that warns you repeatedly as you walk through the 3-hour-long-mazed line that the Gotham Nuclear Ice Plant is about to self-destruct. I can be inviting, ominous, and sexy all at the same time. Just listen to my outgoing voicemail message.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the blog. I knew that a little begging would go a long way.

Elise said...

What about owning a clothing boutique??

I'm so sad, because I was reading your list and I kept thinking, oh, I bet that will be next...no, next. Wait, probably saved the best for last!

Nope, not on there at all. I guess that was just MY dream for us.

By the way, I LOVE YOU! And I miss you like crazy. I am calling you in 5 minutes.