Monday, November 13, 2006

The 4 years I spent in college was SO worth it.

The following are just a few examples of not-so-smart things I’ve done/said lately.

I mailed off a 2-week-belated birthday gift to my friend in New York. (A Rachael Ray cookbook.) I selected a super cute card that went PERFECTLY with the book, but apparently forgot to include it in the package. AND…I didn’t even put my name on the outside of the package. So, she didn’t even know who the gift was from; it was just a book in an envelope. Happy Birthday from the laziest friend you’ve ever had! (I still haven’t found the card and have no idea what I did with it, BTW.)

After showering, I decided that my itchy dry skin needed a thirst quenching application of lotion. I pulled out a bottle from my very disorganized lotion drawer, and squeezed a hearty amount into my hand. As I proceeded to cover my arms, stomach, and shoulders, I noticed that my skin wasn’t absorbing the lotion well. Why? Because it was shower gel, that’s why. I had to get BACK into the shower to rinse off, and was late for work at the end of it all.

While with David, I noticed some cool apartments that I wanted him to see. Tapping him with my bony finger as he drove, I said, “Hey, Building! Look at that baby!” Needless to say, he did not see the said apartments.

I went into the grocery store for Draino and toilet paper…only. I left the store with ice cream, aluminum foil, tampons, and a can of baked beans…only.

(Another shower story…) I stepped in fire ants. Unfortunate. Painful. Fully dressed, I jumped into the bathtub to rinse off the excruciating fire ant venom. Of course, I didn’t know that the shower nozzle was still on and when I turned the cold water on, I was drenched. My feet hurt so badly that I couldn’t even concentrate enough to turn the water off or to step out of the tub. No outfit makes you feel sexier than a pair of wet jeans and a wet hoodie.

I popped some brownies into the oven and went about my business doing very important things. 30 minutes later, it occurred to me that my apartment was NOT filled with the heavenly aroma of baking chocolate. Going to investigate, I realized that I had never even turned the oven on.

My supervisor put a report in my box that listed a few tasks that I was working on for a particular client. In hindsight, I can say that it was CLEARLY a report that needed to be signed and handed back to him, although at the time, I didn’t get that. I read it and acknowledged in my head that I had, in fact, completed all listed tasks. Good! I then crumbled it into a ball and threw it away. More than a week later, my supervisor asked whatever happened to that report he gave me about such-and-such. Oh. “Yeah. Um, I’m gonna need another copy of that.”

I made some temporary “friends” during a 7-hour-long airline fiasco that revolved around cancelled and delayed flights. Towards the end of our adventure together, one of them mentioned the name of the company they both worked for. “Company A”. I perked up a bit…and quickly shared that my boyfriend works for “Company B”. They both looked at me, then looked at each other, then looked back at me as if to say “…AND…???” I went on to excitedly explain that “B” is closely related to “A”. That, in fact, “A” is really the parent company of “B”.

They looked confused and proceeded to ask me questions about this mysterious “Company B”. They had never heard of it. Feeling the need to defend myself and my boyfriend’s company, I shared with them all the knowledge I had about “Company B”. And…let me tell you what a BigGirl I felt like as I went on and on about what the company specializes in. My new friends finally decided that I seemed to know what I was talking about, but I knew they were still suspicious because they had no knowledge of this “Company B”. Someone graciously changed the subject, and I didn’t give another thought to the conversation.

I finally reached my destination…late and frazzled…and was dragging my butt through the airport when I saw a sign for my boyfriend’s company. It said “Company C” in big, bold letters. Aww. That’s nice. It took me about 3 seconds to realize, with humiliation, that I had wrongly referred to “C” as “B”, and no wonder my airport friends thought I was a moron. As my mind continued to right itself, I came to another embarrassing conclusion. “Company B” was not the name of an existing company at all, but the name of a prescription drug used to treat schizophrenia and other mental illnesses, of all things. (The name of the drug and of the company are similar....)

I know what you’re wondering, and NO, I don’t take any such medication.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for all your bad luck (especially the fire ants - ouch!) but I still enjoyed a giggle for reading that.

Thanks for sharing! =X