Friday, May 27, 2005

Thoughts of my own Dreamcoat

I was flipping through the channels late last night while lying in bed when I came across the movie Pleasantville. There was nothing better on, so I decided to watch it for a while. I had actually forgotten how much I like that movie. It's quite poignant, really.

I'm sure some of you have never seen it, so I'll briefly explain the bulk. The story takes place in a black and white Leave It to Beaver type of town. As the characters discover parts of themselves that have previously been ignored or denied, the gray shades of thier bodies and clothing miraculously change into brilliant, life-like colors.

As I watched the movie, I tried relating it to myself. I began to wonder, if I were black and white, what would bring out MY colors? What part of me have I not yet allowed to come alive? Actually, the answer came to me quite easily. Anyway, I think the symbolism of this provides a unique perspective on life. Maybe the question that I asked myself is one that we should all ask. All of us have fears or hestitations that have caused us to restrict ourselves from certain emotions or experiences. Perhaps if embraced these things, we would all wake up one morning, look into the mirror, and see that we've been enhanced with tecnicolor.

No comments: