Monday, January 24, 2005

Johnny Rogers or Kenny Carson?

Yes, very sad that Johnny Carson passed away yesterday. As a kid, I always had a strange fascination with him. I suppose there was something very mysterious about him in my mind. I wasn't often allowed to stay up late enough to watch The Tonight Show, and I just knew that I was missing out on something EXTRAORDINARY. It must have been so if I wasn't allowed to participate in its viewing every night. That's how parents are, you know; they veil all the really good things in life with stupid rules and bedtimes just to keep kid-dom from infiltrating and taking over. They figure kids have enough in their realm of entertainment; what with their Ataris and My Little Ponies and day-time Nickelodeon programming.

Anyway, one of the first times I did manage to witness the shrouded hilarity of Johnny Carson, he was wearing a funny hat and making a chimpanzee do something silly, no doubt. So I immediately pushed him up by the backside onto a pedestal of greatness. And there he stayed; even if I had to rely mostly on memories to enjoy him.

Despite my affection for this Wizard of Monkey Antics, I could never remember the man's name. I had it etched on my brain that he was Kenny Rogers. Always referred to him as such. I know this partly from memory , and partly because my mother mentions it from time to time. No telling why I could never get past this error. Even at age 25, the name Kenny Rogers still passes into my mind's eye when I see Johnny. I'll bet Kenny never sang with a monkey, though.

No comments: