Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Twixter-Ish

January's edition of Time magazine features an article announcing a new label for 18 to 29 year olds. The "Twixter" generation is one that social scientists are saying is caught between adolescence and adulthood. Job-jumping, extended educational bouts, non-commital living patterns, and deferrment of marriage are all symptoms of this phenomenon. The idea is that young adults aren't actually entering into adulthood as quickly or efficiently as in past generations. We seem to be more analytical of ourselves and of our options in life; not willing to "settle down" just because we're supposed to; determined to find meaning and purpose.

Most of the experts involved with the topic agree that we aren't lazy; aren't slackers. Where the debate comes in is "Why, then?".

Sociologists say we're just "reaping the fruit of decades of affluence and social liberation". We are in a life stage where we can afford to be non-commital and irresponsible. We can try things out....jobs, cities, relationships, etc., and not be afraid of failure because we're young and the consequences (theororetically) will smooth themselves over in the future. According to the article, historians hypothesize this isnt a fad....the "cultural machinary" that has always prompted the transistion from adolescence to adulthood has crumbled, and our society no longer provides us with the means of becoming decisively and financially independent.

You'll have to read the article yourself for all the details. Many specific reasons for all of these changes are mentioned. Interesting....especially the part about how our generation is financially dependent on our parents more than ever. Statistically, on average, we all attain more than $2,ooo from our parents each year. Really? Must be nice, kids. I suppose about 1/3 of my friends would fall into this category, and I think only half of the third doesn't take it for granted. In the end, we're all still in debt and living humbly, though. So I guess it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Anway, after reading the headline page of this article, I said..."Well, heck-fire. I'm a twixter." (yep. those were my exact words. I thought it sounded cool.) I, like so many other people I know, I have had an assortment of jobs since walking across the stage and taking my degree. They have spanned a range from Great to " he's-a-really-bad-kisser-slip-in-dog-crap-Oh, damn!-I'm-out-of-tampons" awful. This has been the case for a variety of reasons. I've had a coupla unfortunate incidents that have fed the desire or necessity to leave (which has also led to some intermittent positions). I'm still not 100% sure that I know what my CAREER should be. I've wanted to live in different places....again, for a variety of reasons. And, quite honestly, I haven't been able to land my ideal job (not one that could pay the bills, anyway).

The fact that I'm still not headed down a specific career path is something that bothers me considerably. I'm not proud of it. I'm frustrated by it. But I don't think that it makes me flaky or irresponsible. I've always done what I've needed to do to provide for myself, and I've learned alot in the process. I know what I DON'T want to spend my life doing. Besides, I fervently believe that I'm put in every location, every situation for a reason. I'm not just floating aimlessly and landing where my balloon happens to pop.

The overall mindset I've had....regardless of what life aspect is the case in point......is that I don't want to settle for mediocrity. But I don't think I'm any different than the rest of you in that respect. I'm not special in my quest. We just all go about it in our own ways. Admittedly, I guess I have a slightly romanticized image of what's out there for me. I want to use my intrests and gifts to their fullest, to experience as much as life can possibly throw my way, and to do as much of it as possible with my soul mate (if I have one....if there is such a thing....that would be another blog entry completely). So, yes....I fit into the Twixter label. Make me a name tag.

Despite all of my desires for fulfilling my purpose, I realize there has to be a balance. There's always the danger of never finding contentedness. In fact, I think that's one of the most significant faults in our society. Wanting more and better ALL the time can rob us of a pleathora of life's joys. Things can and will never be perfect. No job, no habitat, and no human relationship will ever be faultless. We have to condition ourselves to be well adjusted and productive and happy in every stage. One of the biggest challenges in life, I think, is living in the present while, at the same time, still striving to acheive goals. If anyone has it all figured out, please post a comment and do us all a favor.


So, what does this all mean? Who knows? I'm not any clearer than I was before I wrote this. But it feels good to say it, doesn't it? DOESN'T IT ?? Hell, yeah!

No comments: